Sunday, March 31, 2013

Peebles Pond

Sun rising over Peebles Pond this morning,
faithful group beside its banks to sing their thanks
that the Son rose too. Churches joined in
fellowship for hearty breakfast after;
sitting here I wonder whose sermon was
preached in the coolness, little wisps of
fog with every word, whose kitchen filled with
sausage smell. I wish them well in Lillington,
remembering years past when I was there
by Peebles Pond myself.




(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


Cecil and Kay Peebles own a beautiful piece of land in Lillington, NC that includes a pond. The community sunrise service has been going there for years, pre-dating their ownership, so some still call it White Pond, or even White-Peebles Pond. We lived in Lillington for five years, and I attended several of the Easter services there, sang at one, enjoyed the breakfasts. Good memories. And I see on Facebook that both Cecil and Kay are sick this weekend, so sending prayers of healing their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment