Monday, March 4, 2013

A Hero Laid to Rest

Never a good thing to lay a son to rest,
Rest in Peace,
Sgt. Gary Morales,
St. Lucie County Sheriff's Dept.,
killed in the line of duty.
even if he was a hero, 
accolades ringing in a mother's ears 
from those who knew him best,
reporters scribbling notes discreetly,
photographers catching tears 
on film for the 6 o'clock news.
People came from far and near
to say, with somber presence,
"We're sorry. We appreciate. 
We support not just your fallen 
son, but all the others sitting here 
to mourn one of their own." 
And I shed silent tears for the son 
I buried years ago, my pain blending
with those of the mother on
the front row and with those
of every mother there who 
shared it. And I shed selfish tears 
of thanks for the son beside me,
edge of his policeman's blues 
touching my hand 
as I held his.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment