Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Betrayers All

Living Last Supper at the church
I went to as a child, spent hours
lying on a pew as Mama practiced
on the organ for the coming
Sunday's service, sanctuary
where I saw my sister marry,
little knowing I would follow
her example shortly,
walking down same aisle.
Tonight the church is filled,
or close to it, someone
advertised the drama, and
it worked. They've spent
longer on their lines
than on the costumes, but
the set is good, sincerity
making up for lack of
polish. At program's end
I take communion from
disciples and head out
with my parents but not
before I'm recognized by Judas.
He hugs me to himself, some
equivalent of "Long time,
no see" hanging in the narthex air.
Schoolmates long ago,
the irony nevertheless
does not escape my notice.
"One of you will betray"...
we heard it over and over
as gathered Twelve
explained their singular reactions
caught by DaVinci's brush.
Truth be told, each person
there could answer gentle
jesus in the affirmative, most
especially I, which sounds
prouder than I mean by saying it.
Judas thought he'd help the King
along, push him forward to his
rightful place, crushing Romans
in the process. Similarly
I have tried to do the same, just
help God out a little, forget that
"patience is a virtue." Such an
easy one to have, at that, compared
to others far more problematic.
All I have to do is wait.
All I can do, really, when you
think about it, wait until
the perfect time arrives,
proper placement of the moon
and stars and all that must align
before my destiny's fulfilled.


(c)Ellen Gillette, 2013



1 comment: