Friday, March 8, 2013

Orchestration

Preparations for the end,
variations on a theme 
that's orchestrated differently
according to the needs
of those who'll stay behind.
Understandable at such a time
that thoughts of future separations
cloud the landscape of my mind.
When the hour has come
for us to say our last goodbye,
saddest thought I've had in years,
I will not choose a chorus.
I'll have to send them all away,
family and friends whose love
for you I share, thank them as
I close the door and climb
into a bed made just for one,
which when you think about it,
is appropriate; we've never needed
that much room. We'll spoon
last minutes, duet dwindling to
a solo, one I never want to sing.
Instead, let's go together, you and I,
perfect pair to enter Paradise
walking hand in hand. 
Money-saver, too, two deaths 
for single price. Maybe those
who're sad and angry that we left
will thank us that they didn't
have to learn the harmony
or stumble on the rhythm of
a difficult song sung twice.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment