Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Bit About Dogs

The longsuffering Angel
Coonsy, Nana's furball of a standard poodle
pulled off my diaper when I pulled his tail.
Prince,Grandma's valiant guard who
circled all night long when Grandpa was away
let us ride his shaggy back. Vicious dog who mauled me and my son left jagged marks, yet oddly never planted fear. Stray Sandy, named for Orphan Annie's pet, was met in India. Back in the states, the missionary we supported monthly was a dog.Princess from the pound lived to see one of children's children born before her peaceful death. Adopted Bella when our daughter joined the Army,
joined by herders Jolee (hit by unrepentant truck)
and the one we had to give away because he bit the neighbor.
She feltso bad. "It was my fault!" but wasn't worth
the risk. When Bella had to be put down with cancer,
we took in Angel, and she quickly took to us.
And now she's gone, no longer greeting at the
door or warming the spot on the bed  by my feet
or licking the plate or digging annoying holes.
I miss her, miss them all, I find, something unexpected,
except for the one that bit us. My head can say
she's better off with land again to roam and run,
but I didn't get to say goodbye,
no chance to look her in the eye,
explain the plan that wasn't mine
but happened nonetheless.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment