Monday, August 12, 2013

Sweating Poet

I'm pretty sure that I appreciated coolness in the past.
I didn't need a test to teach a Lasting Lesson on important
traits like gratitude and patience. I had them. Didn't I?
Maybe leaky coil within the innards of the monster spitting
chilly air into the house was just a thing, one of those
things that happen in due course when corporations outsource
manufacturing to underpaid employees who are scattered
here and there across the globe, defects defying explanation
but which cost, since labor isn't covered by that warranty we have, an even hundred bucks times four. If God had wanted to
instruct me on the value of the money he has let me keep, then who am I to think that I could come up with a better way to spend it? I think it best to pay the man tomorrow (better, if it was today), and cool the house. The upside is, of course,
the water weight I'm losing as we speak.
Oh these, the problems of our privilege and status,
when the worst we have to bear is living for a day or two
in nice big house with unconditioned air.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment