Tuesday, August 27, 2013

It's Monday There

Somewhere in the western ocean
lies an island, an atoll, with no one
on it. It is my friend this morning,
waking to the horror! The shame!
Arriving late last night and focusing
on silly TV story, I forgot my duty,
obligation, sacred trust that I must
sit and make right, right away.
This comes to you from Baker Island,
where it's still just minutes before midnight.
If Jimmy Buffett can declare it's 5 o'clock
somewhere, why can't I take full advantage
of the fact that on that one sandy
spot of land, it is still Monday? Thus,
with license granted to poets and other
scoundrels, I'm there. It's rather warm
but the sound of the ocean is lovely
and the stars look so close, I think I
could touch them if I stretched a little more.

(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment