Friday, August 2, 2013

Sanjay Tried

Sanjay tried, the man from Gujarat,
Gujarat is on the NW coast
of the Indian subcontinent.
The people speak Gujarati,
which, when I heard it in the store
on speakerphone, was
lyrical and pleasant.
the strongest state in all of India
and I perceived it wasn't just his pride
in birthplace talking. When I asked
if he had gizmo for the opening
of car doors foolish woman
had just locked with keys and groceries
inside, he got to work, first trying
with some tools and then, when
joined by bearded plumber, with a wire.
The plumber came so close, so close,
before my husband called to say that
he was on his way. A good half hour
had passed since I had called his work.
Some jerk had answered, laughing at my plight
and evidently waiting to relay the message.
But Sanjay tried his best, walking back and forth
from car to customers who came into
his liquor store for beer and gin. And when the
plumber called it quits Sanjay invited me to stand
inside where it was cool and gave me samples
of a vodka tasting just like icing on a cake, and
something chocolate with rum that
young black man with dreadlocks favored
as did  I (which won't surprise those readers
knowing foolish woman well).


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment