Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Melbourne Meltdown

Holmes Regional Medical Center,
Melbourne, Florida.
I've been to Melbourne several
times since 2000, but never
saw the hospital.
Chance route to unfamiliar fast food place
the GPS has found and traffic being what it is
my eyes glance over at the building at some distance to the north and there it is, so suddenly it takes my breath away and it is thirteen years ago. I'm back inside its gleaming rooms awaiting news
that skews things, shifts life on its axis, turns it upside down and inside out. He died there, in that building to the north, and as I hand my money over and receive the steaming bag of food, I wonder if the woman in the window is accustomed to such faces streaming tears with voice that sounds like
someone else's going through the motions,
thank you, have a pleasant afternoon.




(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

Our son Adam died at Holmes Regional in 2000 following a car accident in Fort Pierce. Because of a head injury, he was airlifted to their trauma center where a neurologist could treat him. He received excellent care there before his death on August 22.


No comments:

Post a Comment