Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Shhh

Rene Descartes
1596-1650
French mathematician,
scientist and philosopher
who said, "I think,
therefore I am."
Epidemic, this antonym of self-control,
but what to call it? Every thought spills
from the mouth without restraint. Rampant
rhetoric, untempered, unfettered,
irrespective of its audience.
Emotions, too, all valid. Descartes didn't
have it right: I FEEL, therefore I am.
I feel it, so it's true and good and must
be understood by you. No pause, no inner check
to ask themselves if what they say makes sense
or is appropriate or kind or even honest -- now
there's a novel thought. Five seconds, even two,
that's all that's necessary to prevent the vocal
spread of germs, but observations show
that's asking just a bit too much of youth
who haven't age's wisdom cultivated and
so have gravitated to this state of constant
speech, they don't know when to hush.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

Subbing for middle schoolers today I told them they'd be way ahead of the game if they could just learn a little self-control. Chances are, it's what gets them into trouble the most, talking back at home or school, gossiping, spreading tales. Stop a second! Think before you speak! A good lesson for adults too...and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment