Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Negativity

Negative flow of what-ifs, cause and effect
effectively draining lifeblood, oozing from the pores
into a puddle on the floor that no one ever offers
to clean up. Newly-laid rug? Someone's gonna fall
and break their neck. She knuckled down, did well
at school today, but it won't last, I'll tell you that.
He's dating? Crash-and-burn, you mark my words.
A sneeze must be precursor to the flu or worse.
Nice day, sure, but too crowded for my tastes,
snowbirds driving slow. so hot today! Or cold.
I'm tired, I'm sore, I'm mad, I'm old.
When I was young, back in the day,
longing for a time that never
did exist among the ages, better, brighter,
cheaper, wiser. Look for pages in Life's book
when everything was perfect; you won't find it.
The rug is colorful, pretty pattern. She could
keep trying. Let her know how proud you are
of each and every effort. So he's had some bad
relationships, it only takes one. He may have found
her, never know. Not up to you or me. Get some
rest, take Vitamin C, perhaps it's just an allergy.
Enjoy the drive, be glad for winter's boost to the economy.
If you need to, go to the doctor. Take a pill. Be
thankful you can feel at all. I beg of you,
I can't afford to hemorrhage my joy:
I can't listen any more to so much death
in camoflauging conversation. You want to
hear my list of all the things I'd like to change?
I didn't think so.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment