Friday, January 4, 2013

False Advertising


This is what we're conditioned
to expect at even modestly priced
hotels and motels.
The hotel I write of today
had NONE. Had to sign out
a towel. Seriously.
It was hilarious.
Hotels advertising the amenities - 
iron, coffee pot, all the other what-nots
one expects when you trade away the comfort 
of home, things just the way you like them,
for what the road can give - should realize
that with today's online reviews, a patron
such as I (or is it "such as me," I never can remember
and would look it up, but I'm on vacation, see,
and having Things To Do, I won't) can hardly
be assumed to ignore the current lack thereof.
Wrinkled, coffee fetched from
lobby seconds before breakfast's end, I had to
beg last night for towels, if you can believe it.
To be specific, towel singular, as in one.
Beg again for washcloth, oh this review will
be a winner. Trying not to lose salvation
as I type it, I cannot, considering those
who may be wooed by price alone, just let it go.
Fellow travelers must be warned, lest they arrive
one winter night with dust abounding,
caffeine-deprived, bone-tired, just get the room,
already, hot shower, cup o' joe, relax and watch
a movie. Guess again, wanderer. There's water,
toilet paper, queen-sized bed, and soap. But nope, those
amenities so promised? Not in sight. And if the 
towel man's in trouble as he was last night,
you'll be lucky not to dry off A/C goosebumped
flesh with a pillow case. Just don't say 
I didn't warn you.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

Apparently, I have the privilege of selecting ads now to accompany my poems, and when I searched for "hotel" came up with hotel safes. Which would have come in handy on this trip, had I anything worth putting in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment