Sunday, February 24, 2013

Oscar Sunday

What are you doing this minute, this hour?
From http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/
old-couples-still-in-love
Yard work, a meal, maybe watching TV?
Sitting across a room calmly chatting
with someone who happened to stop by?
Walking down aisles at some random store,
seeing nothing, eyes glazed, thoughts
far away, focused on a single point of light.
I wouldn't be at all surprised.
Because this very minute, this singular hour,
when I could be doing many things,
should be doing quite a few, I sit here
only halfway listening to the rain,
distracted by my mental speculations,
conversations, thousand ways to say
that all my thoughts, these days, 
star you. If our lives were splashed
across the silver screen, we might get
mixed reviews, but that's alright,
as long as no one can rewrite the
happy ending we have scripted. 
What eyebrows such a tale would raise!
Man and woman fall in love,
nothing different there until 
the "Good Lord!" 's come when
audiences take time between
bites of popcorn to calculate our ages.




(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

My mother, Jane Pendergraft, wrote a little book of love poems years ago. Now, at the assisted living facility where she and my father live, there are several couples pairing up. Isn't that grand? And isn't this a cool photo? I love the idea of people finding their true love, regardless of age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment