Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Birthday Brother-in-Law

John, just a few years ago
Husband in the hospital,
young'ns underfoot,
people said "Let me know
if there's anything
we can do." As if I had
time or inclination
to sit down and make
a list, make the calls.
Nice words,
appreciated concern,
but not much to back
it up. He showed up.
Stood there at the front door
and said, "I'm going
to mow the yard."
Nice words only go so far.
A man with a mower
willing to just do what's
needed, willing to sweat
a little because of love.
No limit to that kind
of mileage. Close to 30
years later, his account's
still in the black.

(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

Happy birthday to my brother-in-law John Gillette, a multitalented man who will forever be on my "good" list because of that one simple act of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment