Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Timber

Philosophers and scientists may have the time
to ponder whether trees, in fact, do make a
sound when falling unperceived by other
living beings, but I find that line of thought
extremely self-absorbed. Things exist apart
from our awareness or our interest or belief. 
If only atheists survive, it will not change 
the fact that God is God, or that he watches 
over even those who mock him question or deny.
He sends the rain to grow their crops or sun to bring a smile onto their faces. And if no one understands 
my heart or takes the time to ask me what I think
or want or need, my heart still beats. And if I am
the tree that falls upon an empty island or within
the confines of a silent wood, the ground
will shake and and far away someone will see
the ripples on the surface of a pond and wonder why.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment