Friday, November 1, 2013

Subbing at a New School

Palm Pointe reading pupils were intrigued that
The poem they read for class was
"The Gorgon Sisters" by Kenn Nesbitt.
No names were given, but we talked
about Medusa. 
The other two were Stheno 
and Euryale, both immortal.
I would write a poem every day--"intrigued" in
that they showed some curiosity (explained in case
they find this poem and read it, as some said
they would.  They were asking questions
to delay their lessons, perhaps, but that's okay with
me.  Two boys asked if I could write about them,
Jason in the double block of time; also Aaron
in the last hour of the day who has blue eyes and
threw some broken crayons later on, but missed
the mark if he was throwing them at me. One girl
muttered something snarky but it gave an opportunity
to tell the class the best advice I know for almost
everyone of any age: Just because you think it,
doesn't mean you have to say it. Maybe they'll
remember, maybe not. I need reminding every
now and then myself.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment