Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Legacy

There is a home school group around these parts
that started small, five families. Before the five,
there were my questions, research reinforcing
what I saw within my heart, desire to give my
little boy the best chance at an education.
Nancy and I looked into the legal stuff, convinced
a group to form around that seed of passion,
and it's grown so big, they have a prom! A legacy,
unnoticed now by anyone (who's she?) but me.
And that's okay, as well knowing that I played
a part in starting something grand.

There are four children all grown up except the
one who died too soon, and he's so loved and
well-remembered that he still affects the lives
of all who knew him. Policeman, nurse, a stay-home
mom, they don't always do things as I would,
but they were raised with love and discipline and time
invested in their characters, and the dividends accrued
quite well in many ways. As days fly by, they
are a legacy as well, another proof that I was
here, I worked and hugged, baked bread and
put on band-aids, tucked four little ones in bed.

Things I've written, painted, made, one day to
be sold off at auction to strangers holding something
up and making comments to their friends, or passed
along to relatives who may be pleased or not,
when I am laid to rest. Not that I'm ready yet, I've
years (I hope) to leave behind more treasures
of my time and effort but the ones that will endure
the longest are unseen, the love I gave to others,
love that was received with matching joy.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

Sometime in the next few days, this blog will have reached 20,000 hits, a bit of a legacy itself. This got me thinking about what I will leave behind, my history of accomplishments, the people who will remember me, not in a morbid way, but realistically. Sometimes I feel like I should have more to show for 55, almost 56 years of living. Maybe being loved, having people who enjoy my company, is more important, however, than a bookshelf lined with novels I've written (not yet!) or walls covered with paintings I've done (one of these days).

No comments:

Post a Comment