Saturday, November 23, 2013

Reflection on That Day in '63

President Kennedy was
shot 11/22/63. Everyone
over the age of 2 at the time
likely remembers what they
were doing when they
heard. I was watching TV.
One month shy of six years old and still at home
because there was no kindergarten in that town,
I was watching television, Dick van Dyke in
black and white, the only channel that we got
inside the valley, till the interruption that announced
a tragedy had taken place. Mama wasn't in
the room, and so I went to tell her Something Bad
had happened. I remember going, not the things
I said or if we huddled there in front of the TV
or left immediately to drive to school to get my sister.
Cars were lined up all chaotically, everyone with
Dallas on their minds. Parents wanted children close to hug, and children had so many questions. Why were
all the grown-ups crying? Why was news
the only thing to watch, this Friday in November?


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

1 comment:

  1. We had junior choir practice after school that day over at the Methodist church, so I'm pretty sure Becky was there with us, too. We just sat there sad and stunned and talking about what had happened but as I remember it, we didn't practice any songs that day. We just couldn't. It was the first time I personally had seen so many adults so sad and crying.

    ReplyDelete