Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Poet Laura Ate

If I had an MFA or PHD perhaps I'd see
my name in print on glossy pages, making gobs
of money, be on Oprah as the latest poet laureate
and sip champagne and little sandwiches from
off a silver tray. And if my name was Blossom
and my feet were bare (or clad in Birkenstocks)
my poetry might splash across recycled paper free
of dyes and paying pennies, which would be okay
because I'd grow organic food myself, the fertilizer
coming from my flock of billy goats. But since
I'm writing for myself, a coin of any kind
would be considered profit. Given that my first
name's Laura, though, I must report that
Poet Laura ate some garlic bread and salad,
also pasta with a marinara sauce and wine,
neither fancy nor organic, which is fine.



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment