Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Investment

Mindful of my money I am careful,

aware that someone's time and sweat

invested in this object in my hand.

Can I part with what it costs?

This vase that someone threw away,

donated, maybe sold for pennies

now becomes my rescue,

treasured, perfect in my eyes,

a memory of happy days spent

finding thrift store bargains.

As Easter beckons I'm reminded

that in many ways, I'm like this vase.

Used and fragile, holding nourishment

(somewhat) for those I love,

worth nothing to the masses,

slightly more to just a few,

but strangely wonderful,

I'm counted worthy of the Cross

we'll celebrate next week.

Held in God's hand, he looked beyond

the cast-off surface to the

joy he knew could grow within,

revealing so much more about

the one who paid the price

than it could ever say of me.


(2022) Ellen Gillette

2 comments: