Saturday, April 16, 2022

An Observance in the Hospital Parking Lot

The woman had both cane and walker,

but the walker wasn't hers. 

Stacked with all the plastic goodies 

that they send you home with, 

that and bags of clothes. Her husband's?

Boyfriend's? Sister's? Son's ? 

New York tags. A plaid wool poncho 

that belied the April afternoon.

I offered my assistance, but in thanking me

she said, "I think I've got it. " 

Watching from my car, I would agree.

She didn't seem to be at risk for robbery

or falling but you never know -- 

a woman...old, alone. 

The bags went in the back seat, 

then the folded walker. If she groaned 

when bending down to get her purse, 

I couldn't hear. Next the cane, 

the opening of the door and sitting down

with one leg hanging out, 

the stretch to reach the handle. 

It took both her hands

to pick that leg up from the pavement,

put it in the car. She closed the door.

Her safety now assured,

I left but now regret not following 

her car up to the front to see

just who it was she loves so much 

that now is back at home.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2022


 


No comments:

Post a Comment