Friday, April 29, 2022

Behind Pretty Eyes

😔😑😟😣

When she said "my whole life sucks,"                                                                             

I tried to hide my disbelief. 

"How old are you?"  "Thirteen."

Good grief, I thought. A little young

for all the angst. I shrugged. "It's Friday!" 

But she shook her head. Another angle:

"Well...you're healthy. And you're pretty."

("Yes she is," her friends -- both boys -- agreed.)

I had a little sermon at the ready about

gratitude for all the blessings we enjoy

but she just shook her head, held tight

to all her misery as if it were a trusted friend. 

And then I stood there, listening. She said

that something small had made her parents mad

but somewhere in the argument, a phrase that didn't fit.

He's dying. Just a bit of drama, she assumed 

(as so would I) but later on she found a paper 

on the counter with angry knife-sharp words.

Chemo. Cancer.  Not the words a little girl

can carry all alone with grace. The face, the mask

she's wearing, is all wise cracks and complaints

but fear is sitting just behind her eyes.

The next time that she cries out 

that her whole life sucks,

the words ring true. 


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2022




No comments:

Post a Comment