Thursday, May 8, 2014

Word Nerdiness

I found this graphic at
https://blogs.montclair.edu.
The truck does not run GOOD
for GOOD (a shock to some,
apparently) is not an adverb and
(unless it shows up in a stocking)
run is not a noun. The grammar that
we thought we learned so letter perfect
long ago needs brushing up, although "It's ME"
sounds so much better, I'll admit,
than properly announcing
"It is I." Usage, punctuation, and you know,
those little things you say and write
can drive a word nerd mad unless
it's SHE who makes the error, and
then, like...she smiles "my bad."
Students see it as a chore today,
the practicing of such, but as adults they'll thank
their teachers dearly, very much (not many)
when they're told let's say, they wrote a clearly
understood report, not any gross misteaks.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

"My bad."



No comments:

Post a Comment