Monday, May 5, 2014

Conversation with a Lost Lamb

Are you lost?
                                              Not lost, exactly.
                                              More like... 
                                              waiting to be found.
I barely heard you.
                                              I'm really tired.
I can help.
                                              Yes, but will you?
I can wrap up those wounds.
                                              And wash the dirt 
                                              out?
You look thirsty.
                                              My throat is parched.
I could take you home.
                                              And always care 
                                              for me?
I could.
                                              Even when you're busy?
I have other things
in my life, of course.
                                              Would I be the most important?
Hm.
                                              Who would be the most important?
Uh.....God?
                                              Is that what you think you should say?
I guess I'm the most
important person in my life.
                                               Then leave me here.
You're suffering.
                                              I'd suffer more to taste love and
                                              watch it turn to neglect. 
I can't just leave you here.
                                             Someone else will come along. 
I should take you.
                                             I know, but you'd be doing it so that you felt 
                                             better.
You'd be fed, though.
And clean, and safe.
There is that.
                                              Thanks but no. I'll wait.
You could die.
                                              I won't.
You're an odd lamb.
                                              Stubborn, too. Just try to set me down gently.



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment