Thursday, August 7, 2014

Happy-Ever-Afters

A friend posted this cake photo
on Facebook, and it got me
thinking. I would not want to
be the groom in this little scenario,
nor the bride. Love the cake,
though. Just not the topper.
Maybe I'm in too serious a mood.
Young women are indoctrinated to
expect a knight in shining armor; at
least they were when I was young.
My mother grew up watching happy-
ever-afters on the big screen and she
warned us that reality would be
different but we didn't listen very well.
Get married. Have a family.
Good choices, great ones, but....
and there are lots of stories in that
one short word. I didn't know myself
back then. I thought one man would
meet all of my needs, as I met all of
his. I needed rescuing. I needed love
and touch more than I even wanted them.
Not that I hunted that true knight; I knew
my prince would come for me eventually.
And I was right. But better now to be all
grown up, conscious that I'm strong
enough, with God's good help, to live
the life he gives me, whether in a family
or church or all alone or hanging out
with friends or working or when speaking
to a class or group of strangers or even
up there on the stage or making faces at
a baby in her carseat at the doctor and
embarrassing my grandson. I'm complete
and capable, not finished but well on
my merry way, I thank you very much.
Comfortable with me, but wanting,
oh so wanting, you to join me for a walk
through life, for sharing joy is always
better. That's the happy-ever-after that
is real, the dream that Hollywood can only
capture for an hour and a half or two,
but I still think can last a lifetime.
I really do.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment