Saturday, February 22, 2014

Rubenesque

I had an email advertising fashions for the
Venus at Her Toilet
by Peter Paul Rubens, 1608
Rubenesque and knew exactly what
it meant, that somehow someone out
in cyberspace has got my number, knows
my clothes are never in the single digits,
but something prompted me to google it.
I thought I'd see primarily the images of
paintings by the master (Rubens gave
his name because he much preferred the
curviness of females) but...fair warning
if you're also so inclined to look...a lot
of plus and double-plus-sized women
have no problem posting naked photos
of themselves. Rubens' art is beautiful,
and makes his subjects so. Some of these
others, well. I'm thinking...no. It's not the
size as much as presentation. A little
modesty, madames! Leave just a bit
to the imagination and you'll find a
well-placed sheet or feather rather
adds to the effect instead of doing just
the opposite. I'm all for confidence,
regardless of a woman's shape - it's
what's inside that counts for sure -
but really. When it comes to showing
skin for all the world to see,
I'm thinking less is more, which goes
for the petite among us, too.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment