Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Border of Iran and Turkey

I am forever grateful to the one
friend in our group that day
who thought of snapping a
photo to give me, while Polaroids
were being taken to
give to the soldiers. 
On the Turkish border, blessing soldiers
with some candy, Polaroids,
just little things we hoped would leave
them with a good taste in their mouths
(in every way) about the foreigners who
stopped to chat that day. Time to leave,
and someone asked if, perhaps, we could
do something for them? Through interpreter
and gestures, it was obvious they wanted
one more photograph apiece. With me.
So many years have passed, it still surprises me
to think that as I'm going through old
photos (this one has a place of honor
on a shelf, of course) perhaps a Turkish
soldier goes through his as well and
wonders who the hell that woman is
who grinned that day remarking
at how heavy was his instrument of death.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment