Saturday, July 20, 2013

Contemplating August

Recognized trademark for Nike
Feeling just a little overwhelmed with August
and it's not arrived as yet. I get the jitters just in
realizing I have lines to learn, and school will
start and all the things that go with THAT, not
just for grandkids underfoot but also me, since
subbing is my only paying gig right now. How I
will juggle this and chair a contest coming up in
...yikes! How soon?!...gives me a momentary panic. Understanding each are given the same quantities of days and hours, sometimes it still seems I'm taking ona few of yours as well as mine, and have to makemyself remember to just plod along and chip away and take deep breaths and schedule me-time and it all will be accomplished, and then August will be past, another August never to return,
another August to mark down as done. Kaput.
Finish, termination, culmination, memory of
muddled obligations, mourning, merry-making,
and much more. And when the next one rolls around,
perhaps I will remember how I feel today and
catch myself before I pile too much on my
to-do list, but historically? It's ridiculous to
call this stress, a first-world kind of problem
that is silly when compared to all the really
difficult, life-threatening ones so many others
have to deal with every day, not just in August.
Ashamed, I am, for opening my mouth to pout
about the busy-ness of life. Most things I'm involved
with are my choice, and give me pleasure in the
doing and the going and the learning and the earning.
I think it's time I shut 'er down. Instead of
moaning about all I need to be about, to borrow
Nike's theme, just do it.  Do it till it's done.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment