Sunday, July 21, 2013

Happy Birthday to the Man Who First Proposed to Me

I was 17 and it was dark inside the room,
almost summer but not quite, but I felt safe
and loved and certain that my life
would never be the same again.
In retrospect, it all was true, up to a point,
but life's river did not flow the way we'd
thought it would (and that's the understatement
of the year). He said it softly, "Will you
marry me?" and I said "Yes," but in the end,
I didn't. Still friends these almost forty
summers later, he is single once again,
and I am not but tease him, texting, to make
sure the second Mrs. B is lots of fun, because
that is the word that best describes most of our time
together. Fun is almost always something
to remember fondly, as I do remember him.
We were always dating on my birthday, but
never much on his, the off-and-on of what we
had in high school so uneven in this way as
love that young between two people so unformed
and incomplete is apt to be.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013



No comments:

Post a Comment