Monday, July 22, 2013

First-World Problems

http://billionsrising.com/
first-world-problems/
Category in a word game on my phone
has got me thinking about all the so-called
problems that we citizens of first-world
countries may encounter, that those
from places so much poorer never face.
A/C units that go out, as ours did yesterday.
So many choices at the grocery store
we have a tough time picking out a brand. Or
how in the hell am I supposed to set the DVR so I can
catch up on The Glades and still watch DVD
that someone else requested? The freebies
from the government will take a few more
days to show in the account. My frequent flyer
miles did not amount to much this year.
Church ran a bit past twelve, and so the
drive-through line was packed.
Garage door openers that don't, or where
to get a manicure, which movie to go see tonight.
The water's hard and has a funny smell.
That letter to the editor is crazy!
Has anyone seen the remote?
The restaurant is rather crowded.
Turn the thermostat back up a bit; it's chilly!
I'll call you back, you're breaking up;
there's only one bar where I am.
Pool chemicals are such a pain. Kids who
have to share a room. I'm feeling sick
but last time that I waited at the walk-in clinic,
it took at least a half an hour just to be called back.
Two-car garage will only fit one in
because of all the extra stuff we have
that one day, will be sold to people buying
things to send across the sea to third-world
relatives who can't imagine what it's
like to live with all the things we
take for granted every day.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment