Tuesday, April 9, 2013

First Graders

Most television shows have been on air
for longer than they've been alive, so small,
but hearing outbursts one might well declare
they're experts on such things as classroom protocol,
at least about what other kids should do. "Well, he
is not supposed to talk now!" little girl cries out, surprised
when I remind her that she had to talk to tell me!
I warn them early on that I will be annoyed with tries
to keep me on a certain schedule, sentence started
"Mrs. G, we always do it this way!" They can trust me,
following the plans the school imparted
from their regular teacher who is sick (she must be!)
or simply getting married, depending on which child
is asked. It's mostly bluff, there's not much bite
behind my bark. With tiny ones, the mood is mild.
It's easy to discern the ones who didn't sleep last night,
which have the issues in the room, but if I'd missed them
that one there is quick to fill me in. "He's always like
that," whispering low, discreetly pointing to him.
Barely able to prevent my eyes from rolling, I remind this pretty tyke,
for perhaps the twenty-second time to please sit down,
and she complies with oddly understanding frown.





(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment