Friday, April 19, 2013

Antiques

Antiques draw me to another time and place,
richness of polished wood maintained
with love and care, built when things were
meant to last for generations. Vase that once 
graced someone else's table, heard conversations
about latest gossip, comments on fresh
flowers it held captive. Most antiques are
much too costly, but create a pleasant day for me
to browse and let imagination drift back
to when each thing was new, and life
was good, the future holding me a distant
dream. I have dreams as well, with few
things of quality that generation in
a hundred years might treasure, but that's okay.
Furniture is not the key to happiness,
but who is sitting on it, whose clothes,
scented with their essence, are lovingly
placed within the drawers.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


1 comment:

  1. My sentiments so eloquently stated! I so value the lives that touched the objects.

    ReplyDelete