Monday, November 26, 2012

The Camera That Grew Feet

My camera grew feet and walked away,
skedaddled, vamoosed, vanished into thin air,
up and left, went far afield and then astray,
took a hike, a powder, a flying leap
out of its cozy blue bag and off my desk.
It didn't like my photos I guess or
maybe it wanted me to take more. Didn't say,
just squenched up its single eye until feet popped
out the bottom and hightailed it elsewhere
dragging its charging cord behind.
No forwarding address. Knowing my mind
has problems in this area.  Counting on the fact
that I have a knack for losing things,
choosing places to keep them I'll be
sure to remember and then  not.
The camera could be anywhere,
except I've looked there. Looked everywhere,
except, apparently, where it is
which proves to me it's moving
on its own power, playing me for a pawn in a chess game
of which I was previously  unaware. Prayer
has been, to date, ineffectual, in case you were
about to wax spiritual and suggest it.
Alas, poor camera.
I knew him well, Horatio.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment