Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Thin Skin

Skin is amazing, thin or not.
I'm much too young
to have to worry about
skin so paper thin
it bleeds and bruises at
the slightest touch,
so maybe it's just my
imagination. Or maybe
it's that other "skin,"
my feelings and emotions,
that seems to be
developing more
sensitivity.
I'm much too old
for that. What do
I care if someone talks
or whispers or just
speculates on what
I do or say, on what
they think I meant
when I did this or that?
I'm fairly open. If
you want to know,
just ask... and I'll
decide if you deserve
an explanation or
you don't. When I
was younger, how
I tried to please the
masses, make the
grade, be liked by
everyone! What a
waste of time. Much
better now, to have
a shorter list of
people who not only
like but love me, even
when they don't have
all the answers about
who and what I am.
They're in it for the
long haul, so there's time
to sort it out.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment