Friday, February 21, 2014

Every Corner of the House

When I was little I would go inverted,
look at life a different way and
make up stories about walking on
the ceiling, hanging onto furniture
so I didn't fall onto the floor. I never
worried much, unless I heard my
parents arguing, and that was rare.
Children shouldn't worry,
shouldn't think about
the price of gas or if there'll be
a parent there when they get home.
They shouldn't wonder if the
bills will be too much this month,
or try to figure out the best way
to explain the latest grim prediction
on the evening news. They should
be laughing at the future, sure
that everything will be alright,
excited that they have so many
years ahead in which to do the
things they like, explore the reasons
they are on the earth, find love at
every turn, in every corner of the house,
even when they're hanging upside down.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment