Thursday, December 19, 2013

My Life as a Car

"Describe yourself as a car" it read,
and as I held the board game card in hand
I saw the image clearly in my mind-- the
very car I drove, a Honda Civic coupe. 
I noticed first its solidness, the moment I got in 
and shut the door. Sporty-looking, too, in black, 
low maintenance and economical. It suited 
me, and at the time, it served me well
as self-assessments go. But that was years
ago, and like fine wine, the value has 
improved, accrued, risen with my age,
not due to any great accomplishment,
but learning who I am at 56 and being
pleasantly surprised to find I like 
that person quite a bit. Self-perception 
and esteem expanding as the days have passed, 
I'd answer differently today. Something
candy apple red, perhaps, or cobalt blue,
with classic lines and that old solidness,
but just a hint of fun. If that sounds arrogant
or crass, if what you want to give me for
my birthday is a goodly dose of deprecration, 
(self- or otherwise) please be advised that humility's
true meaning, as I've heard it anyway,
is being willing to be known for who and what 
you really are. If I find, at this stage of my life,
that I've become a sports car, it just follows 
that I'm comfortable with that. And if you
find this problematic, thinking of another
model more befitting someone of my
age perhaps I can convince you, if you'll
love me and enjoy the ride.



(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

That last line sounds vaguely sexual when that wasn't actually my intent, but that's okay too. 56-year-old women have earned the right to be sassy, or whatever else they want to be. Happy birthday to me and all the others born today!

No comments:

Post a Comment