Friday, December 13, 2013

It Will Get Better

How do I tell her that it will get better,
Psyche Opening the Door into
Cupid's Garden

by John William Waterhouse, 1904
that she'll find another job, another
line of work, another way to make ends
meet, another paycheck that will feed
her family? A year from now, she may
be married to a man who will provide,
but does she love him? She has such
trouble letting someone care for her,
and now she's hit a wall. Will it push her
forward, into the waiting, open arms
of this new man who wants to treat
her like a queen or is the memory of
the one who haunts her still too strong?
I want to help, I want to hold her tightly
in a mom's embrace and whisper that
it all, eventually, will be well again, but I
don't know. I just don't know how it will
play out. Variables, so many what-ifs and
regrets and yet she knows the One who
holds her in His hand. She knows.
She knows, but even knowing, it is
hard to let a love move on. Having closed
a door, to let another open. I wish I knew
the words she needs to hear. I wish.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment