Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Prayer

I just liked this photo, by Mike Dagher,
that I found at this link:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/
20100824/OPINION03/8240356

Do you hear me, Lord?
When I'm in the car
and in the shower, on the toilet,
getting dressed, I talk to you
throughout the day, into the
night, no formal "quiet time"
so I can check the box on
someone else's list of what a child
of yours should do. No eloquence,
just daughter-dad time since you
know already what I'm thinking.
Accompanied by tears, at times,
and language that may make the angels
blush, but they prize honesty as well.
Sometimes I know you're listening
because you answer back, a nudge to
make a call or just the sweetness of
a Father's love to touch my heart.
But sometimes you are quiet, and
looking at the broken dreams and
things I'm doing that won't win
me points for being good
(but make me awfully
grateful that your grace can overlook
my weaknesses and flaws),
I get discouraged, seeing goals so
far away, and wondering how long
I'll have to wait. It's been awhile,
in case you have forgotten.
The things I pray for every day,
for those I love, for me? Still waiting,
Lord. Not that I cannot see your
hand along the way, but maybe
you could speed it up a little?
Give me just a hint, a tiny sign
that there's a plan to fix the
messes pressing in? I trust you,
Lord. I do. I do. I guess you
trust me, too, not to turn my
back in anger or to fall away
because the road's too hard,
too long, the joy ahead too far.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment