Saturday, July 13, 2013

In the Interest of Survival

I'm a machine that runs much better
when I fuel it with wholesome foods,
take vitamins, drink lots of water, sleep
at night, and find creative ways to vent
frustrations, exercise, develop inner
peace and spirit-strength. Body, soul,
and spirit all in tune, there's something
else I need, besides the air, to operate
efficiently and happily, just one. To
go beyond survival into living, really
living, if you get my drift. Aside
from family, because a family just is,
and all its trials and joys are dealt
with as they come, as natural as breathing.
There's something else, essential
to my health, my core, the deepest part
of who I am. Without it, I am only
mostly whole. But I think you know
this, don't you? Don't you?


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment