Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Next Time That I Move

The next time that I move, I'll pack some clothes,
Not that I want to carry
all my belongings on my
head, but there is
something to be
said for portability,
as this mother
in Rwanda shows.
a toothbrush, maybe favorite pillow so
that I can rest my head, but nothing else.
Perhaps some picture albums, little box of books,
the DVDs of family celebrations in the past,
my laptop bag of course, but moving often in the last
few years has severed almost every tie with things
I loathe to pack again or haul or rearrange. Just sell
it, someone, pass it on to those who need it more
than I. If I have you, and water's sound somewhere
that I can sit and listen for awhile, let peace
and calm wash over me once more,
that is enough. More than enough, I'd say.
Amenities are nice, don't get me wrong,
I'd miss the stuff of comfort and the sense
of home that comes with curtains hung
and pictures on the wall, but almost every
extra can be duplicated. What I really
need will never be replaced.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment