Monday, June 10, 2013

German Shepherd Fantasy

Oddest dream in years, an accident on
I-95 ramp delaying my trip. I could see a
body lying outside a car across the way
but there were lots of cars parked, and I
heard sirens of help coming in the night,
so I didn't call 911 again and tie up the lines.
For some reason I rolled out a pink yoga mat
and lay down by my car, too.
When a homeless man, or possibly a hitchhiker
(but he was stumbling a little, mumbling
something I didn't quite get, which just shows
you what my stereotypical homeless man
is like, even in my dreams) wandered past
he must have put something in my hair
because later, at the airport, with no time
or driving because this was a dream, after
all, a drug dog, enormous and handsome
German Shepherd, bounded around a corner
and jumped on me as I went slowly but surely
down the corridor on some sort of motorized
baggage cart concern (my grandma used that
word, so why shouldn't I?). We rode for awhile,
just the dog and I along carpet that may or may
not have been blue. Fast-forward to my arrest,
when I had to call whomever it was that was
expecting me and say I'd be late to wherever
I was going and when I asked the officer what
was next, would they be checking my hair,
he said he\hadn't mentioned anything about
my hair and seemed a little annoyed.
I told him about the homeless man (or hitchhiker)
and said that that was the only thing I could think
of that would explain the dog smelling drugs on me.
I had no explanation of why I was riding a baggage
cart, although no one was curious or didn't ask,
but the feel of the dog riding behind me,
his breath on my neck and warmth all along
my back wasn't unpleasant at all. In fact,
I rather enjoyed it, astonished as I was by
the odd turn of events.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment