Thursday, June 19, 2014

Birthday Card for Jill

My friend Jill is a dedicated worker
with Habitat for Humanity,
but that doesn't define her.
Happy birthday!
Passion that's far-reaching,
helping families turn vacant lots
into warm homes, building
bridges from community to
citizen.
Big jobs can overtake
a person, though. Dig so
deep into the core it's all you are,
identified with projects,
losing self
within the need, the vision.
Not here.
Not her.
More than just a mission,
more than someone's
title on a letterhead. Woman with
a life and love and laughing with
her friends. Birthday woman,
and she doesn't mind the years
at all. She's lived them well.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014


1 comment:

  1. Oh Ellen - I'm so honored to have a birthday poem. You can't imagine! I'm awed by your talent and how you see me. Goodness - imagine me speechless! ;:

    ReplyDelete