Sunday, October 27, 2013

Conversation, Texas-Style


Texas often boasts that things are better here,
and now I know it's true, at least in one
regard. I've noted it to others, odd condition in the
world today: ask someone a question
and he answers with a word or two and
then goes back to doing what you interrupted
out of curiosity, or interest, or the habit you've
developed over years of watching people.
It's not a gender thing, not racial or political,
(although I have suspicions that a bit of economic
snobbery's been known to rear its ugly head a time
or two, as well as that of status or degree)
so common I perceive it as an epidemic. Social
lethargy, or maybe I just come off as that boring.
But then, last night, these ladies making
conversation matter on their Texas deck,
serious yet precious moments for honest inquiry,
reflection, digging deeper into what we knew
of one another or ourselves. They did not only
welcome me into this home, but left the mat
out to their hearts and lives and thoughts,
sensing that I cared as much for them,
new friends who help me every day
by helping family whom I love and miss.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment