Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Benz Envy

Those who despise the rich and all the cars
they think are owned exclusively by those
who take advantage of the poor are looking
at mine strangely as I drive past these days.
Capitalist swine! they mutter underneath
their breath as the shiny black Mercedes SUV
pulls in beside their trendy compact that gets 40 mpg.
How could they know it's been so well-maintained
it looks as nearly new as possible (from certain angles -
there's a piece of trim that's plainly missing in the rear,
but haters don't go in for details) with mileage in six
figures or that Clinton was still president when it came off
the line? In addition, it was given (in reversal of the normal
order in such matters) from a son to parents, latter being
Mr. G and I, with I the blest recipient of driving
privileges since he is partial to the van he hauls
things in most every day and wouldn't want to
scratch the leather seats or figure out the gadgets
anyway. I'd get a bumper sticker that would tell the world
"My other car's politically correct" but that would be a lie
and really, I don't care. I accept that they assume
that I am this or that, because I know the truth:
our son is generous, and excellent as well.

(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment