Thursday, October 25, 2012

Tantrums

Tantrum, word origin unknown, but maybe,
just maybe, from the Sanskrit. 
Tan (stretch, expand) plus Tra (instrument). 
Lay aside your thoughts of tantric sex for the moment, 
if you have them. (And if you
do, they'll keep, simmering at another level of
consciousness while we discuss this other matter.)
Tantrums stretch lungs, expand anger.
I'd like to throw one now, scream, jump up and down, 
dispel the atmosphere's negative ions, clinging like expensive
plastic wrap, bitter words issued from mouths 
invading my space. Toddler tantrums are
too often ignored, coaching them to create more drama
in Act Two. Perpetrators of teenage tantrums should simply be shot...
with a healthy dose of reality (what did you think I meant?).
Tantrums in my age and gender class are just ridiculous. Sigh.
I wish now that I hadn't gotten rid of the punching bag.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment