Saturday, October 6, 2012

Break in the Storm

Aluminum-colored clouds surround, heavy rain
makes me wish I'd bought that new wiper blade
before setting out. Not so heavy anyone's pulled
off the road, except for an embarrassed
dude in a convertible parked under the bridge
hoping he hasn't blown his chances with the
woman beside him. I didn't get a new blade;
he didn't bring the top, or maybe he can't get it up
(not intended as a pun about overcompensation,
because he was pretty young, after all).
Ahead, a distant but distinct opening
in the heavens, surprising window through which I spot
blue sky. It doesn't taunt, isn't smugly making us
aware that not everyone's having a rainy afternoon.
Maybe some folks misinterpreted, but I caught the hope.
Storms wage all around, the flooding sometimes
reaches the critical stage.
I struggle just to keep my nose high.
Straight ahead, though, even then, clear skies are there,
waiting for me to catch enough of a glimpse that I remember.
I find myself grinning, hoping that the soggy woman in the
convertible is laughing hysterically instead of scolding him,
that they're using the interruption to sit and kiss,
making a memory to talk about
for the rest of their lives.

(c) Ellen Gillette, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment