Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Bon anniversaire ma soeur!

If I could, I'd fly to Paris today,
plan a birthday party at the airport,
greet you on Thursday with balloons and a band.
Ask a group of little girls to sing
as you come off the plane,
hire fireworks to launch from the Eiffel Tower.
I'd ask every man along the path to your hotel
to hand you a single flower and kiss your hand,
and order a basket of chocolates for your room,
so big it's embarrassing.
There would be scented candles and a bottle of champagne,
an appointment with Monsuier Jacques (zee masseur) 
at your service.
If I could, I'd celebrate with you 'til midnight, 
when we'd turn out the lights
and sleepily say, across the gap between two beds
with crisp linens as we did as children,
"What do you want to talk about?"

(c) Ellen Gillette, 2012

My sister Becky has a birthday on the 11th and will indeed be in Paris. Not, I regret to say, with me! Happy birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment