Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Alarming Morning

Not my actual alarm, but...
No alarm save that of how I felt
when I awoke and saw the sun was up.
Scramble to get ready, get the boy up
and dressed to go to school, his bus long
gone, but doncha know another bus is broken
down along the way. Call the school because
this one's a magnet, standards higher than
a kite, and when I take him in, the secretary's
on the phone to check my story, as if I'd
lie about the bus to cover up the fact that
I forgot to set the clock last night. We might
have made it, but it would have been extremely
close. Indeed, the bus gave us an out, a serendipitous
excuse, despite the wary question in the secretary's mind,
but when I left the school it felt as though I'd barely
missed a black mark on my record. Does this school
give parents, or in my case, Nanas, after school
detention for such things?


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment