Monday, April 21, 2014

The Bishop (Hopefully)

He has the window seat and I, the aisle We're at
an exit and he tells the flight attendant we will help
if there is prime rib offered, making me a cohort,
which I like. He's running for an AMEZ bishop and
because he took the time to answer all
my questions, I now know just what those
letters mean. White and blacks in ME churches
(Methodist Episcopal) once did not get along
and split into the several other acronyms,
before the Civil War, before the dark times in
the land, but now that they are separate,
he said, they all relate quite well. And when
I asked him if that works for marriages he
had the sense to chuckle, even though he
lost his wife (I didn’t know, of course, until he
mentioned it much later, somewhere over
Georgia) eight years ago. I hope he wins the
bishophood, whatever it is called. I hope he finds
another wife to help him in his ministry, in his
manhood, as a poppa and a dad. He said he’d
pray for us, and I am thankful that I asked
the man beside me on the plane where
he was going. And found out where he had been.



© Ellen Gillette, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment