Thursday, September 19, 2013

Playbills

A ham I am. With no apology.
I've enjoyed being on the stage and
in front of an audience since my
first grade performance in the
Camp Lab Talent Show.


Playbills, just a smattering of shows
performed within the span of sixteen years,
applause appreciated, holding hands to
take the bows with actors who will never
make it "big," perhaps, but talented and
capable of doing that and more, should
dreams and destiny cooperate. Their photographs
and bios are recorded; some have signed
their autographs, but not a single one will
be forgotten. Their names may disappear, along with
lines once memorized, but burned into my brain
somewhere, their faces and a few remembered
snippets held especially close, mostly
lyrics to the songs I got to sing. I'll play it young
or old, deliver dialogue through coughs and colds,
there's music still inside, rowdy romance to enflame
on-stage, and dialogue to learn. Comedy or drama,
song and dance, or mystery. Decide to cast me,
if you think I have the skill and look you want. Direct me.
I will study hours until I'm confident, off book; rehearse
and cancel trips and dip into my purse to pay for props
if need be. I'm community. I'm theater. I'm hooked.


(c) Ellen Gillette, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment